I’ve Got Your Number

I've Got Your Number
I’ve Got Your Number

by Sophie Kinsella
4stars
4 of 5 stars

I’ve lost it. 😦 The only thing in the world I wasn’t supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It’s been in Magnus’s family for three generations. And now the very same day his parents are coming, I’ve lost it. The very same day! Do not hyperventilate, Poppy. Stay positive 🙂 !!

Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry her ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her “happily ever after” begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring in a hotel fire drill but in the panic that follows, her phone is stolen. As she paces shakily around the lobby, she spots an abandoned phone in a trash can. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!

Well, perfect except that the phone’s owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn’t agree. He wants his phone back and doesn’t appreciate Poppy reading his messages and wading into his personal life.

What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other’s lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls, and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents . . . she soon realizes that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.

Main Characters

Poppy Wyatt: Clumsy, silly and with high spirits. Things just seem to happen to Poppy, and she rolls with it. She tries to fit into the mold society expects, but there is not one that can contain Poppy’s personality.

Sam Roxton: Distant and takes life too seriously.  Desperately needs someone to shake him up like Poppy does and he doesn’t even know it.

Review

Probably one of the top ten most hilarious books I have ever read. Fair warning: You do not want to read this book in public!  I can guarantee that you will be laughing out loud with Poppy and her antics. I love Sam’s reaction to her.  At first he doesn’t know what to make of her, but he knows there is something special about her.

Poppy keeps getting stuck in one hilarious situation after another, and most of them are caused by her trying to contain her personality and failing.

It’s his mother’s birthday? But he didn’t tell me. I don’t have a card. I don’t have a gift. How could he do this to me?

Men are crap.

Poppy’s inner monologue is full of everything people think but don’t want to admit.

I’m blushing at my own stupid, nonsensical, meaningless thought process, which, by the way, nobody knows about except me.

Sophie Kinsella is great at mixing humor and romance. This isn’t one of those silly love at first sight things, the lead characters actually get to know each other (gasp!). In fact, most of the book is them getting to know each other and eventually falling for each other.  It seems that most books these days take the first 10% of the book to have the character’s fall for each other and the other 90% is spent fighting, having sex, and overcoming odds. That is not the case with I’ve Got Your Number. 

“Every instinct in me wants to text someone OMG, I've lost my phone! but how can I do that without a bloody phone?”  -Sophie Kinsella, I've Got Your Number

“Every instinct in me wants to text someone OMG, I’ve lost my phone! but how can I do that without a bloody phone?”
-Sophie Kinsella, I’ve Got Your Number

Book Info

Point of View: First person, from Poppy’s perspective
Length: 433 pages
Price: $7.99 on Amazon (as of 2/4/15)

Sophie Kinsella
Author

Website | Facebook | Twitter

Whatcha Thinkin'?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s